- Preheat oven to 220°C.
- Spread Vegemite over pastry.
- Sprinkle cheese over Vegemite.
- Starting from the edge nearest you, roll up pastry.
- Cut each roll into equal portions.
- Brush pastry scroll tops with beaten egg.
- Bake for 15 to 20 minutes or until pastry is golden brown.
Danish Pastries Dough:
- Combine flour, sugar, 25gm butter and 1/2 tsp salt .
- Dissolve yeast in milk in a bowl, then add to egg and stir with a whisk to combine.
- Add yeast mixture to flour mixture and knead to just bring together to form a smooth dough. Form dough into a rough 17cm x 12cm block, wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate to rest (20-30 minutes).
Roll dough on a lightly floured surface in rectangle, dust off excess flour, butter slab on dough to cover two-thirds, leaving a 1cm gap at one end. fold uncovered dough over butter to cover half the butter, then fold the opposite third over that. This is your first turn. Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate to rest (20-30 minutes).
Repeat this rolling and folding process 3 times, Pastry good to use next day.
- Preheat oven to 180C. Follow chef’s demonstration for shapes.
Crème Patisserie ( Pastry Cream )
- Bring milk and vanilla to a simmer then remove from heat.
- Whisk sugar and yolk than mix in cornflour, then whisk in a small amount of hot milk.
- Whisk into remaining milk in saucepan, then bring to the boil over medium heat, whisking continuously.
- Reduce heat to low-medium and simmer, whisking continuously, until thickened (2 minutes).
Remove from heat, whisk in butter, transfer to a bowl, cover directly with plastic wrap and refrigerate until required. Whisk well to loosen before use.